Thursday, September 26, 2013

My basic tools when sewing badges....


 My basic tools:
  • Clear thread
  • variety of colored thread for bobbin thread and hand stitching
  • needle & pins
  • seam ripper
  • thimble
  • stapler
  • scissors
  • glue stick
  • toothbrush
  • sharpie or fabric marker
  • scratch paper,  for tallying the scout items and badges.
  • sewing machine (not shown)
  • iron (optional, not shown)


 
Clear thread


 This is the key to save your sanity and time. It hides your stitching, or at least does not make it noticeable how you've sewn the badges and that you didn't sew it perfectly. Also saves from having to change the top colored thread to match each color of the badge or patch you may be sewing, especially multiples. Not everyone has that perfect shade of red or purple or yellow in their stash to match all the patch color possibilities. It's forgiving if you are not a perfect sewer.


A warning about the clear thread, it stretches and breaks. You will need to re-thread your machine more often as it breaks. It also can be hard to see to thread your machine.  It does not work well as the bobbin thread. I don't recommend it. It also does not work well for hand sewing.

If you're not a perfectionist and not worried about the bottom bobbin colored thread matching the underside of the scout item you're sewing, that will also make sewing badges easier.   I tend to use corresponding colors to sashes, cub shirts and boy scout shirts, but not exact matching colors. These last few years I've been using up my stash of odd thread colors and some extra spools that come my way. It helps make it cost effective and convenient not to have to stop and go out of town in search of that perfect thread you need. For Girl Scout vests, I tend to use the colorful thread for the bobbin thread. I think it's neat to see all the different colors as it progressively fills up. Boy's don't seem to pay attention to that kind of thing.  For hand sewing the thread doesn't have to match exactly, as long as you are hiding your stitches.

Variety of colors for bobbin thread and hand sewing.

 
Stapler and small hand scissors
Yes, a stapler. It saves your fingers from all the pinning. Some of the designs on badges and patches can be hard to put a pin through. It saves time when you have a lot of patches to do, especially on sashes. These scissors are handy taking out the staples and cutting small threads. These are what I call my sacrificial scissors. They have nicks in the blades from pulling out staples and occasional broken pins. DO NOT use your good sewing scissors for this.


You'll also notice the glue stick in the main picture. It's another special tool I use to hold little badges in place instead of using pins. Especially those little Cub Scout arrow heads that need to go under the Cub ranks on the left side of the shirt.  The glue holds those little buggers in place just long enough to sew them on without them moving. Using pins with those small badges will only hurt your fingers, bend the pins, make the shirt fabric pucker, and possibly move them out of place. The toothbrush is only used to clean off the glue of the glue stick on the shirt if I made a mistake. 



The sharpie is only used to help put the scout name on the label of that scout item. I try to remind the scout families to be sure to put their name on EVERYTHING. When those scouts play a game or go on an outing and peal off their shirts or vests, they all look the same. It would be heartbreaking to lose those items and try to replace them. 

You'll notice that there is NO fusible web, badge magic, or badge glue. They don't work reliably, they're messy, muck up my machine, and don't leave much room for error. I've fixed plenty of mistakes and reattached ones that don't stay on.  Don't do it.

If you're a scout newbie, there are permanent patches and there are a few that are changed out often, Boy Scout ranks or position of leadership patches for example. If you use the badge glue for those and try to replace them as your scout has advanced, it may be hard to remove, or there may be leftover residue where the badge was adhered. You have to try and sew the next one on in the exact same place, which is no fun since I sew Boy Scout ranks on by hand. The glue also attracts lint and dirt to it. Cross your fingers you put the badges in the right place to begin with and won't have to fix it. It's not very forgiving. I've had some luck with using an iron to remove an excess of glue left after removing a patch, but it still left a discolored outline of the patch on the shirt. It wasn't very attractive.

The Girl Scout iron-on patches I will iron on, it helps to hold them in place so I don't have to pin them and can sew them easier and all at once.  I will help repair patches that may be trying to come loose if they come to me that way from their owners. I'll have to clean the machine needle periodically due to the residue from the iron-on glue.

When badges are sewn by machine it looks cleaner. If the sewing machine tension and gauges are set correctly, they're easily removable with the seam ripper without damage. Sewing the badges on is the best method. The scout items will survive the wear and tear they go through and the laundry.  I suggest washing shirts buttoned and inside out.

In another post, I'll show a few methods I've been using. I have even found a new one to share.  Such a "duh" moment I had when I found it and have already used it a few times.  If you happen to find my blog, let me know if you have a question or suggestion. If I don't know it, I can find someone who does.  I always like learning new things and sharing.





No comments:

Post a Comment