Sunday, November 17, 2013

What to do with Mother's Pins in scouting?


A Tiger Cub Mother's Pin

This comes up often with new scouters. You see them on Scout uniforms because parents don't know what to do with them when they're awarded. Sometimes, you'll see them temporarily pinned to hold the upside-down cub rank badge on the shirt until the scout has done his good deed and can permanently attach it to his shirt. But they're Mother's Pins, or Parent's Pins I noticed more recently.

The award can be incorporated into the Cub Scout Rank advancement, or Crossover,  Court of Honor for scouts.  In cub scouts, the parent's accompany their scouts when they receive their awards. When the parent's present their new ranks on their scouts, scouts can pin the "parent's pins"on them. They can share in the achievement of the rank advancement.

So what do you do with them? Well here is an example.

A neckband for Cub and Boy Scout pins.


I purchased this at my local BSA Council store a while back. I have seen mother's wear them to Court of Honor's and Eagle Ceremony's.  I've recently read that it is a civilian award, so you are not supposed to wear it in uniform. But I don't see why not. For verification on how to wear anything scout related, I would suggest checking the most up-to-date BSA Insignia Guide.

I recently found the website of the company who supplied them to the council. www.mothers-pride.com They actually had three to choose from versus the one I had found.

My predicament is I have had two boy scout's and a girl scout. So, with two boy scout's it looks busy and cumbersome
I have thought of possibly sewing them together and then add a small gold ribbon insert in the front center for my daughter's Gold Award Parent's Pin.

 
Mini Gold Award Parent's Pin

But my latest idea is I think I'll do something similar to another proud local mother with multiple Eagle Scout's.  She has a red, white, and blue ribbon with only the three Eagle's Mother's Pin.

I found this resource for the "Proud Parent Pin"

A good reason for using these neckbands or lapel pins is for safer keeping. These items may help you not to be racked with guilt and tearing up the house because you have put the high ranking awards like the  Eagle's Mother's Pin or the Gold Award Parent Pin away for safe keeping in such a special place that you can't find them.  Yes, I'm speaking from experience. I am now in replacement mode to have it ready for my third scout's Court of Honor, my second Eagle Scout. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jean- I wanted to see if you have the red, white and blue proud parent ribbons and if so if I could get one from you. you can contact me at vcprice@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like one of those red whit and blue proud parent pins also could you contact me cvcg812@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to know if I could order the red, white and blue proud parent pin. I can be contacted at audreatoal@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I’d like to if I can order the red, white & blue proud parent pin too! Please let me know. I can be reached at kmra3114@gmail.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would also like to know how to order the proud parent ribbon. kristin.kokkeler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete